Stockwoods LLP is committed to excellence in serving all clients including people with disabilities.
We will ensure that our staff are trained and familiar with any assistive devices that we offer for use by clients with disabilities while accessing our services.
We will communicate with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability.
We welcome people with disabilities and their service animals. Service animals are allowed on the parts of our premises that are open to the public.
A person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to have that person accompany them on our premises. Where the person with a disability is a client, Stockwoods LLP will discuss with the client and the support person how best to ensure that solicitor-client privilege and the protection of client confidentiality are not affected.
Notice of temporary disruption
In the event of a planned or unexpected disruption to services or facilities for clients with disabilities (for example, accessible washroom facilities), Stockwoods LLP will notify clients promptly. This clearly posted notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated length of time, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available.
The notice will be placed at our reception desk and/or on our website.
Training for staff
Stockwoods LLP will provide training to employees, volunteers and others who deal with the public or other third parties on their behalf. All lawyers and staff of the firm will be trained.
This training will be provided to new lawyers and staff within 30 days of joining the firm.
Training will include:
- An overview of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standard
- Stockwoods LLP’s accessible customer service plan
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person
- How to use any assistive devices that we offer for use by clients with disabilities while accessing our services
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing Stockwoods LLP’s services
Staff will also be trained when changes are made to our accessible customer service plan.
Clients who wish to provide feedback on the way Stockwoods LLP provides services to people with disabilities can do so either in person or in writing, by e-mail or otherwise, to any lawyer or staff member of the firm. All feedback will be directed to Aaron Dantowitz. Clients can expect to hear back in 15 days. Complaints will be addressed by investigating the matter, and informing the client of what action, if any, Stockwoods LLP plans to take.
Modifications to this or other policies
Any policy of Stockwoods LLP that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed.