Karen’s broad practice includes civil and criminal litigation, administrative and regulatory law, defamation law, securities litigation, constitutional litigation, public law, and advising members of regulated professions. Karen has appeared as counsel or co-counsel at all levels of court in Ontario as well as at the Federal Court and before various regulators and tribunals. She has represented plaintiffs and defendants at trials and hearings as counsel, successfully appeared on complex and difficult motions, assisted in judicial reviews before the Divisional Court, and acted as co-counsel on appeals to the Court of Appeal.
Before joining Stockwoods in 2021, Karen used her logic, problem-solving, writing, and advocacy to successfully, research, write, and defend dissertations for which she was awarded an MSc and PhD. In law school, Karen excelled in moot and skills competitions, including placing second in the prestigious national Gale Cup Moot where she argued an appeal before judges of the Supreme Court of Canada and Courts of Appeal.
In addition to her experience as a lawyer, she has also acted as a mediator for St. Stephens Community Mediation, which has provided her with insight into effective mediation advocacy.
- Extensive experience advising clients on complex strategic and substantive legal decisions, conducting examinations and synthesizing positions before courts and administrative decision-makers, including:
- Acting as co-counsel on an appeal that defined the scope of the doctrine of misnomer in civil pleadings
- Successfully representing clients at trials before the Small Claims Court in matters arising from breach of contract
- Advising and representing insurance agents and investment/mutual fund advisors in investigations and enforcement proceedings by regulatory bodies
- Toronto Lawyers Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- The Advocates’ Society
- Women’s Law Association of Ontario