Karen is a trusted advisor and advocate whose strategic judgment, practical advice, and strong courtroom skills help her clients in a wide variety of complex and sensitive litigation matters.
Karen is frequently retained to represent clients in commercial and contract disputes, professional negligence claims, defamation claims, fraud claims, privacy torts, judicial review applications, and appeals. She regularly appears before all levels of court in Ontario, the Federal Court, private arbitrations, and tribunals. She conducts trials, hearings, motions, and appeals. In her administrative and regulatory law practice, she has represented individuals and private entities, as well as regulators.
Karen regularly volunteers for the Pro Bono Ontario hotline. She is also a member of The Advocates’ Society’s Young Advocates Standing Committee and she is currently the co-editor of the Advocates’ Society Podcast, Friends Who Argue.
Before being called to the bar in 2017, Karen attended Osgoode Hall Law School, where she placed second in the Gale Cup Moot. She also earned a certificate allowing her to act as a mediator for St. Stephens Community Mediation.
Before attending law school, Karen earned an M.Sc. and Ph.D. in palaeopathology. Her graduate research analysed the prevalence of respiratory disease in populations of archaeological human remains.
- Extensive experience advising clients on complex strategic and substantive legal decisions, conducting examinations and synthesizing positions before courts and administrative decision-makers, including:
- Acting as co-counsel on an appeal that defined the scope of the doctrine of misnomer in civil pleadings
- Successfully representing clients at trials before the Small Claims Court in matters arising from breach of contract
- Advising and representing insurance agents and investment/mutual fund advisors in investigations and enforcement proceedings by regulatory bodies
- Toronto Lawyers Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- The Advocates’ Society
- Women’s Law Association of Ontario