Our partner Gerald Chan is running for Bencher with the Law Society of Ontario this year as part of the Bencher Good Governance Coalition, a diverse group of experienced leaders who are committed restoring good governance to the legal profession.
“We are thrilled that our partner Gerald has put his name forward as a candidate for Bencher,” says Luisa Ritacca, Managing Partner at Stockwoods. “Not only is Gerald an experienced advocate on access to justice, he is a committed mentor and teacher for lawyers and law students, and a proven leader on equity, diversity and inclusion. The Law Society will benefit tremendously from his leadership.”
Gerald has practiced at a large firm, a firm of fewer than five lawyers, and at Stockwoods for the past 8 years. His many contributions to the administration of justice include:
- Serving as a member of the Judicial Appointments Advisory Committee;
- Leading the Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers, Ontario as its President;
- Teaching Criminal Procedure at the University of Toronto, Faculty of Law;
- Co-authoring and co-editing numerous books on the intersection of law, privacy, and technology;
- Representing marginalized inmates in the Court of Appeal for Ontario as a member of the Pro Bono Inmate Appeals Program.
We urge you to support Gerald and the other members of the Bencher Good Governance Coalition. Voting runs from April 19-28, 2023. You can find out more about Gerald’s campaign at www.geraldchanforbencher.ca